Thursday, July 16, 2009

Patty Pan Squash

Thanks to my CSA, I learned about a new squash, Patty Pans. Let me tell you, they are delicious. I wasn't sure how to cook them so I jumped on youtube and found a recipe. I have made this recipe three times in the last week. It is so good. Here is the recipe:

You slice off each end of the patty pan (top and bottom, just slightly) and then cut the squash in half so that it forms two uniform disc shapes. Spray the bottom of a pan with olive oil spray (or use regular olive oil to coat) and then place the squash in pan face up. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Then you carve out a shallow well in the middle of the squash. I use a melon baller. Fill the well with crumbled goat cheese. On top of the cheese put either bruschetta, which is what I used, or you can use salsa or some type of sweet pepper relish. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of that and then lightly drizzle everything with olive oil. Place in oven (I used my toaster oven) on 400 degrees and bake until tender but not mushy, around 15 minutes or so. That's it. Easy peasy.

Oh so tasty and good for you too. And remember, buy organic and local when you can!

No comments: