Wednesday, June 17, 2009

CONTAINER GARDENING

Some of you may remember last year I did a square foot garden, which is basically planting in a raised bed. It ended up not doing so well. I put my box on my front patio which is a cement ground and is enclosed by a brick wall. I think that fried my plants. So, this year I am trying container gardening. I am finding it to be super easy. I have decided to put my plants on my screened-in sun porch. It doesn't get full sun all day so I am very curious as to how my plants will do. We will see. So far so good. I am already getting flowers on my tomato plants. Woo hoo!

I also put one of my tomato plants and a box of basil out behind my house to see how they do there. I'm just kind of experimenting this year.

I didn't plant a whole lot this year because I signed up with a CSA. What is a CSA you ask? Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share ("membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season. My friend who has been doing organic gardening for many, many years decided to do a CSA so I joined hers. I have been getting loads of yummy produce each week, so I didn't need to plant a lot myself. I just planted tomatoes and herbs (parsley, rosemary, dill, mint, basil and oregano). I love using fresh herbs in my cooking. There is nothing like it. Oh, and there are two plants that I have no idea what they are. I started them by seed and didn't label it, thinking I would remember what they were. But I don't. We'll just have to wait and see!

No comments: